PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocopter, Marignane
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 21:53
roundwego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't work there but visit quite often. They have experimental test pilots - ie those that fly new designs to obtain certification etc.
They are "God" and don't normally communicate us mere mortals.

They have production test pilots who fly the brand new aircraft on their first flights out of the factory, but those aircraft have a previously-tested modification state. I am not sure if these pilots have actually done the full test-pilot course.
These are the guys who are there to convince the customers who are accepting their aircraft that it is fully serviceable and the observed defects on the acceptance test flight are "normal". The flight test engineer usually know more about the aircraft than the pilot.

Then they have instructors who teach customers how to fly their shiny new aircraft. EC does employ pilots elsewhere, eg I know of one EC-employed pilot who is based in Malaysia.
These are the salt of the earth pilots who seem to be at the bottom of the ECF pilot food chain but have to train a complete cross section of culturally, linguistically and competently different pilots without offending or upsetting them. Some of their students are high calibre, experienced pilots (no problem for the instructors)- others - you wouldn't allow your mother-in-law to fly in the back as one of their passengers. These instructors have a difficult job both technically and diplomatically.