PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More CHIRP wimpishness
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 14:46
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three Pilot Operations

I was somewhat perturbed at the Chirp Comment under this particular article, on Page 12, which concluded:

'In the absence of appropriate rest facilities and/or an Operations Manual procedure for sharing the flight deck duties, it is difficult to conclude that this practice achieves anything other than three tired pilots being on the flight deck, as opposed to two.'

Surely, the answer lies in flight crew and their respective Unions/staff representatives not accepting this situation, rather than a general resignation, as this article concludes, that this mode of operation will be accepted.

If flight crew don't like it, then don't do it!

Who are the airlines to dictate working practices which, while not necessarily contravening flight time limitation legislation, appear to contravene any semblance of common sense?!

I was fatigued by a constant 6 on, 4 sector day routine until, finally, I considered my performance was not safe. I had the Captain contact 'ops' and state I had a 'tummy upset' and got off after the first two sectors. Luckily the Captain was a CRM instructor who understood, and appreciated, the dilemma I had. On the assumption that, as pilots, we work on the premise of 'safety first', that was one day in which I could say I would not have wanted the wife and kids in the back.

Why do pilots continually take c**p like this without so much of a fight?

The pilot mentality is sometimes hard to comprehend and I can only assume that the 'tradition' stems from military edict that 'the mission must be completed' (hopefully not at all cost)?

Pilots seem to spend their time wingeing and moaning (for which PPruNe is the ideal platform) but seem less than 'heroes' when it comes to fighting for their own rights and conditions of employment?

Sorry to be on my high-horse, but I have always taken action if I don't like the way I am treated by employers - which in the past has involved BALPA fighting my cause and resigning from employment.

If others stuck to their guns then maybe the role of the airline pilot would not be diminished as it has been over the past few decades.

If I'm wrong tell me, but exploitation in any form is surely not acceptable?

KR

FOK