PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beware landing at Farnborough
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 14:07
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace, were you IFR or VFR? And did the weather deteriorate unexpectedly, making Farnborough your only alternative?
I was flying IFR but outside controlled airspace. Weather was low all around London so admittedly poor chance of getting into Fairoaks but a chance if it lifted and broke enough on route.

They did have a weather diversion clause in place but now think you have to pay up front and then write in and make a good case which mine probably isnt I could imagine many would file for a VFR airfield when weather made it not possible and then divert???

One interesting point is i do not think Farnborough take singles anymore other than in a very genuine weather/emergency. A request by me to depart up north and return pm had the ops needing to check that a standard arrival was ok in a light GA. As it was a twin the answer was yes but never made it back anyway.

But it is a concern that GA lights are persona non grata and charged a fortune to keep them away. It would be interesting to hear others and their experiences and charges around other major london airports?

My point is if you do fly hard weather in light GA and have to use largish airports expect to be stung even if your destination was not achievable.

Genuine diversion would now read deteriorated weather at your VFR airport destination after departure not hoping for it to improve at destination before arrival

Biggin was in fog as is usually the case as it starts to lift from the ground.

Pace