PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training for Recovery from unusual attitude in the simulator.
Old 7th Nov 2008, 13:54
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I agree. That's been my understanding, too.

BelArgUSA is correct.

This 'upset' training in the airline business became in vogue, again, after the USAir accident in Pittsburgh (the rudder problem). We all practiced
the maneuvers in the sim.

One 'technique' I was taught with the nose-high situation was to use a small amount of roll (aileron), coupled with a small amount of rudder to get the aircraft established in a 60 degree bank. I was hesitant to use too much rudder for several (obvious) reasons.

Also, yes, I was also taught to 'go for' 90 degrees of bank in the fighter-type aircraft. It works beautifully. But, in the 'big' aircraft, 60 degrees will do the job.

I enjoyed this training...it was fun...and, I learned a few things. (Which is the point of sim training...Duh!!)

One other trick I learned is, when the aircraft is, for example, in a nose-low situation with a substantial angle of bank (when you have trouble knowing which way to roll to wings level)...roll toward the 'dog house'. Pull the thrust off, roll toward the dog house (these two things done simultaneously), then ease the nose up toward the horizon (after you have wings level or close to wings level)....adding thrust when the nose is on the horizon as the airpseed approaches target speed.

It's all good....

Fly safe,

PantLoad