PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake Turbulence - Did you know...?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 07:15
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not get to fly often, so I never "couple the ILS" (unless low visibility).
My landing runways are generally the 10 or 12,000 feet long "variety".
If that MD-11 up front touches down at 2,000 feet down, I might go for a point further down.
Even with very little braking, I can stop and still have plenty of concrete left.
Is it me only...? No... many other idiots do like me.
xxx
Not landing on or near the numbers especially in a heavy is surely a high risk practice to get into especially if you use the same techique on runways which are not quite so length generous.

Landing ahead of another aircraft which itself has landed long must mean that you are estimating the available runway still available visually?

I am not a large jet pilot but know that in those aircraft the technique expected is not to even go for a smooth touchdown nowadays. Rather to plant it on the numbers and not risk any float thus maximising the available runway length.

Lighter aircraft where there is loads of runway is a different matter and landing late can even be used for waiting for an aircraft to clear that has landed ahead as well as for wake turbulence but dont think such operating mode would go down too well as a principal with large passeneger jets especially by a Captain who doesnt fly too often and doesnt couple on the ILS to get some hands on practice

Pace