PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 6
Thread: MANCHESTER - 6
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 00:57
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EasyJet

Parky747 -

The simple answer to your question is that I don't know at what rate EasyJet intend to develop MAN (useful post, eh?). However, I can tell you that EZY consider themselves to have been presented with exciting short-term opportunities elsewhere which they are keen to exploit.

Amongst these opportunities two stand out. The first is ITALY. The near-death experience of Alitalia which now appears likely to survive in a much reduced form (probably merged with Air One) has left a big hole at EZY's existing Milan Malpensa base which the company hopes to exploit. Other carriers including Lufthansa (5 x A319) are diving in there too. Result: more EZY fleet commitment at MXP in the short term. Obviously Rome is affected too, though I believe that EZY favour Ciampino there rather than the Alitalia hub airport at Fiumicino, so perhaps the Rome opportunity is less attractive.

The second opportunity seen by EZY is at LONDON GATWICK. Recent events - notably the demise of XL and the transfer of several LGW Transatlantic schedules to LHR - have resulted in a surprise windfall of juicy LGW slots for EZY. This implies a short term move to increase the LGW stranglehold before competitors pitch in for those slots.

So where does this leave MAN? Slightly down the pecking order, I fear. Short term opportunities for expanding key bases are likely to be optimized. New capacity will go to those bases first. Whilst MAN is ultimately of interest to EZY, it is difficult to suggest that this airport will top the list of priorities when windfall opportunities have arisen at key established bases elsewhere. I guess my thesis is that MAN will be forced to wait its turn in an orderly queue! But if anyone out there is able to tell me with authority that I have got all this horribly wrong, then bring it on! I would be absolutely delighted to see MAN developed as a key EZY base ASAP. And I must say that MAN itself is fast becoming a serious opportunity for some enterprising carrier out there. It's a long-established top 20 European airport with a huge catchment area, and the availability of lucrative slots there for the taking hasn't been this good for years. Come and get 'em! Lock them away.

Any comments from EZY insiders?

Cheers, SHED.