PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need a job - where do I start??
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2008, 23:57
tooty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even gooses fly

Hey mate,
it wasnt that long ago I was asking the exact same questions.
I was in WA at the time and the places to go were Broome and Kununurra.
That was before the big boom in WA really got going so I waited in KNX for about 4 months before getting work.
Take money and patience and be prepared to work at Coles for a while (unless things are still booming up there..?)

If you want to get in early, get more hours before you go. You could do that by getting a meat bombing gig. Try Hillman Farm (South west WA) or Pete's Skydiving out of Karatha. Karatha is a f hole though.
Exmouth in WA is a magic town. If you like fishing, sun, drinking etc you will love it. Try NorWest Airwork there. They do a fish spotting gig of some sort.
If you get work there, you could do a season and still get out of there in time to get North for the dry.
Might also be the time of year to try out for CALM in WA they do a firespotting thing. (need tailwheel time)

About your chances, Id say this. If you are willing to stick to it you will definetly get a job. Might not be a great one though. Make a plan and stick to it and you will succeed. (Even gooses fly.)

My other advice is to think seriously about how you will do the job once you get it. Relax about getting one and think more about what you want and how you will do it once you have it.

You will come across plenty of skuttlebutt about bad working conditions and being made to do some dodgy things.
Consider your personal limits and boundaries and be prepared to stand up when they are tested.
Good luck and enjoy it.