PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Nervous Flyer Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2008, 13:53
fireblade2000uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can remember many years ago flying from Madrid to LGW on a Dan Air Comet on Friday 13th. Over the Bay of Biscay I calmly (ish) walked up to the cabin door and just stood there. A stewardess asked me what was wrong and I said in a very calm voice "please ask the pilot to land the aeroplane. I want to get off." Whilst 95% of my brain was telling me not to be so stupid and to sit down, the 5% was so strong, so powerful that it took over the common sense. Fortunately she gently guided me to my seat and, sitting in the aisle beside me, spoke to me for the remainder of the flight. My fears seemed to vanish once she started speaking.
For 5 or 6 years after that I simply could not fly, panic attacks days before departure resulting in the cancellation of trips. I eventually attended one of the first BA fear of flying courses. I thought I knew a bit about the theory of flight having been in the Cadet Force at school and flown Chipmunks. The course was so enlightening, even down to explaining why it sounded like the nose wheel had a puncture on the takeoff run, the crew then moving the aircraft slightly left of centre (a bit like running on cats eyes when driving and then steering off them).
It was when we got on board an aircraft to complete the course, I suddenly realised that my fear was far more controlled than others. We were pushed back from the gate twice, having had to return to let people off! Having completed the course I started to fly as a passenger again, not just in big jets but helicopters and occasional smaller General Aviation aircraft. I never really enjoyed it but tried my best to cope. Then, one day whilst getting on a flight to the Lebanon, my fears returned. Having alerted the crew (and got on and off the aircraft about 3 times obviously whilst still at the gate) I eventually calmed myself enough using the techniques from the course to stay on board. After take-off the captain came back and spoke to me offering advice on relaxation etc. About an hour out of Beirut he invited me into the cockpit and I sat in the jump seat for the approach and landing. I have to stay I was enthralled, it was simply fantastic, and it had such a profound effect on me that I have flown without fear ever since.
I consider myself extremely fortunate that jumpseats were allowed to be used in the past. I knew that I would have to overcome my fear eventually, but what the crew did for me that day really did it for me and I can never thank them enough.
I did write to the airline and asked for my thnaks to be passed on but you never know if the message was delivered. I hope so.