PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 6
Thread: MANCHESTER - 6
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2008, 08:35
TartinTon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IB4138...what colour is the sky on your planet exactly?

You're quite right to point out my lack of experience in all things airline as I've only worked for them for the last 25 years of which the last 20 has been in Revenue Management.

I bow to your superior grasp of the "facts"

Please don't preach your jaundiced views to me on airline senior management.

Do you REALLY think that airlines don't want to operate routes that make a profit? Are you REALLY that stupid???

Mr A Tis...getting the wrong yield CAN be a function of the wrong pricing structure but more often it's just a case of the market not being prepared to pay (as is the case with Manchester). Airlines will try and get loads on flights in the short term and take a loss with a view to building a market.

That's called investment.

If the market fails to respond to economically viable prices after having built and invested in a market then of course the airline will cut its losses and re-invest elsewhere.

As for cancelling domestic flights at times of disruption, that actually makes perfect sense. You can always get a train or drive.

I suspect that KLM, LH etc also do exactly the same thing. They try not to cancel flights that have to go over water as it's a long way to swim.....