PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reinforced cockpit doors
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2001, 05:44
BOING

I have been reluctant to mention this information but I think we really must educate the people who think an armoured flight deck door makes an aircraft terrorist proof.

I would not bring up these items but I imagine the terrorists we really need to be concerned with have worked these ideas out for themselves already.

How many pilots fly an aircraft with a trapdoor to the electronics bay and all those lovely computers and fuses that is accessible from the passenger cabin? What do you find in the ceiling of an aircraft when you pull down those flimsy trim panels? Lots of lovely electrical wires and control runs, that's what.

All the searches in the world will not prevent terrorists who gain control of the cabin of an aircraft from causing it to crash, almost at a place of their choosing. What we need is a four-pronged approach. Meaningful airport security (including data base matching). Sky marshals. A tough cockpit door and as a desperate last resort, specially selected and trained armed pilots.