PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VIRGIN Blue pilot tests positive for traces of explosives
Old 5th Nov 2008, 23:33
cjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So as pilots, who should we lobby to get some pressure on to have other staff screened?

I am now convinced that screening is a joke here in NZ as well. I was paxing in uniform on a domestic sector last week and the guy infront of me at the x-ray machine placed a pocket knife in the tray, I thought "this will be interesting", he passed through and collected his pocket knife without a word from security, I on the other hand had my ID checked and then got the once over with the wand. I asked about the knife and the security chap said it was ok because it was less than 6cm in length. He was technically correct too, I checked. Now where is the logic in that? Ten seperate people (or 20 or 30) can quite legally carry their pocket knives onto any domestic jet service in NZ but heaven forbid I forget to remove my nail scissors from my overnight bag.
I don't have a problem with being screened, but what a massive waste of time and money it is as long as it is just a show, as has been proved time and time again with scenarios like this.

So as pilots, who should we lobby to get some common sense into this security cash-cow?