PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VIRGIN Blue pilot tests positive for traces of explosives
Old 5th Nov 2008, 20:27
RENURPP

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
Socket and co,

I disagree, whilst I don't complain if and when I am tested I believe the whole security system is an absolute joke.
If all people did as you suggested and simply did everything some bumbling little bureaucrat dreams up what a miserable and ineffective little world we would live in. Most of these people actually come from a different planet. I think they may watch too much TV.
There are so many problems with this crazy security system, it is designed as a PR exercise and nothing more.
If I ever become a bureaucrat I may come up with a requirement that all pilots who submit freely to trace detection, are required to take a anal examination by ‘Bubba”. It would make just as much sense.
Who is better placed to adversely effect the safety of an aircraft if they choose to.
Exactly, so why would they actually need a weapon? Do you think they need to risk carrying an explosive devise to effect safety?
How about all the unscreened people who already have access to the aircraft including but not limited to engineers? Caterers? refuelers, ground crew baggage handlers and toilet cleaners and emptyers, safety officers, Air traffic controllers, passenger handling ground staff, how about those dopy federal police they even carry guns straight through security no problems. Mate even while an aircraft is in a hangar undergoing heavy mainaenance some one who really wants to do damage can organise it. Do you know anyone who has become a federal cop? Its not that hard, they are not chosen on their IQ. If they can run 100mts the day they are interviewed they are in.
Your worried about the guy up front with control of the whole machine. Get real.
Whilst there should be a serious need to ensure the Pilots backgrounds are thoroughly checked and the people boarding are in fact identified as the correct people once on the flight deck an explosive device is a little bit of an over kill.
The Cabin crew should be checked, they do a two week course, they come and go they have access to the flight deck and would normally require a weapon to gain control of an aircraft, the Pilots already have it.