PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 5th Nov 2008, 19:33
Comanche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some really useful info you have given me, thanks.

Mensaboy, well said about crew morale and costs which all boils down to false economy, which seems to be more rule than exception nowadays. As far as the other EK comments, I feel I am in the same dilemma as I was 3 years ago when deciding to apply or not. A second visit to DXB and the traffic congestion at 1am and being lied to by the hotel staff all the time made me decide back then to postpone the application. Some ex-colleagues like it, others would not go back and do it again. One even quit after 6 months, and had difficulties getting his passport back. One of his friends even fled the desert from Qatar, but I am sure working for Qatar is a different story alltogether.

Anyhow, I suppose if I want to join it would be better sooner rather than later. The problems with company accomodation would worry me though. My wife would love the hot climate, the social life etc, but she would absolutely hate the prospect of moving again after living somewhere for only 6 months or so. Living on a FO salary for a prolonged time are also a concern to me. If only I would have bought a house some years ago in DXB and then all these problems, either working for EK or FlyDubai, would have been solved immediately. Why did no one buy property in DXB as soon as the law changed some years ago?

Last question, considering all the stories of DXB being dusty because of construction work, adding to that the amount of traffic and congestion, does that mean most people live in a perpetual state of pollution and smog, comparable to the likes of Seoul, China or Cairo?