PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VIRGIN Blue pilot tests positive for traces of explosives
Old 5th Nov 2008, 16:15
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowerlobe
That was my point and if people are not being screened and have access then bring this to the attention of the media.
Bingo. Give that man a beer.

"The issue aint pussy. The issue is monkey."

What lowerlobe is sayin' here is....

The problem is not the screening. Get over it. Screening is here to stay. If you don't like it, get a job outside RPT. . Just make sure you are paid for your time at work, and your company makes allowance for the extra time and inconvenience of screening. Eg. 45 minute signon prior to ETD? Get real. That is so last-century!

The problem here is perception, not reality. Not too many Joe Publics actually know any professional pilots, and deserved or not, we score continually at or near the top of Most Trusted Professions. Why? They built these opinions on images from popular culture. Not from actually knowing airline pilots.

That is why stories like this....
Flying in the face of the law - pilot bikers land fines
.... make front page news, whilst the unemployed bogan that just flew down my street doesnt rate a mention.

The job. A pilot. The public image. Rulebreakers? Careless? Fails an explosives test yet flies an aeroplane that my family might be on? Does not match.

Loss of esteem in the public eye. No sympathy. We pax have to put up with those rules, why are pilots ignoring them? And hey, no idea of how long it takes to be a jet pilot? Who cares, but we better stop them leftist fascist Taoist fundamentalist terrorists going to flight school and getting pilot jobs! More screening, bring it on!!!

Its a media swipe at pilots. It is the politics of envy. And it is going unanswered. Throw mud, it sticks. Especially if no-one hoses it off.

The newpaper probably did not give a thought to contacting AIPA or the AFAP for their take on the situation. Probably don't know those organisations exist.

We wont fix intrusive, distracting, disrespectful screening by walking away from or snarling at the $10/hr Chubb and Group 4 flunkies manning the checkpoint.

Intrusive security screening, to the point where it arcs up pilots and disturbs their focus on their safety critical task, has been placed in the media as a problem in the UK.

BALPA SAYS: "Walk A Mile Through Security In Our Shoes"

That is the way to fix it. Ok, security is here to stay. Just don't distract me from my safety critical role. Don't see me as part of the problem. Recognise that I am the person you need to support. Make the rules clear, reasonable, and consistently applied. Make the screening efficient and let me get to my aeroplane.

Who is going to do the BALPA thing here?

Anyone?