PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the best/most amazing flyby (official or otherwise)?
Old 24th Jan 2002, 03:03
OldBonaMate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I was on 1(F) Squadron at the time and recall a couple of additional features of Al's memorable event.. .After 'doing' Tower Bridge he flew through the circuits of many of the East Anglian airfields inverted at about 200 ft on his way back to West Raynham where he ran in and broke from, guess what(?), 200ft inverted. I had just cleared the runway and when I got back to the pan I was met by a rather senior entourage who thought that I had been the perpetrator of the Tower Bridge affair and/or the ensuing inverted beat-ups. The hierarchy's interrogation of me gave Al the time he needed to quietly park his aircraft and disappear, temporarily, to make a few necessary 'phone calls like "Hello, dear, I may not be home for supper tonight". A 54 Sqn pilot who had taxied in just before me had been subjected to a similar interrogation.. .As an interesting foot-note to the whole affair, numerous people wrote to the squadron about Al's flight and the congratilatory letters out numbered the outraged by about 10:1 I believe.

If you should read this, Al, all the best.