PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the best/most amazing flyby (official or otherwise)?
Old 22nd Jan 2002, 03:12
Top Loadie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In '91 my parents took my brother and I to Weston-Super-Mare in my dads fire appliance red Ford Orion. We were enjoying the view along a small back road when some bright spark armed with an RAF issue Jaguar (we recognised the tailpipes as it disappeared into the distance), at what seemed like 50ft, strafed us. The sudden noise was incredible! We must have been a very inviting target!

(Not exactly a flypast...) In the early 90's I was at Bruntingthorpe when they fast-taxied the Lightning down the runway. It must have been the first time they did it as a photo opportunity as on the way in they gave us these yellow foam ear plugs and let us stand along the edge of the runway. . .I have some great nose and side-on pictures but nothing more. It passed us at full chat, with diamonds out the back, at which point all we could do was hit the deck. By the time the noise was bearable again, the 'chute was deployed and the aircraft was turning back.. .F..(bloody)..g amazing!! My ears rang for days!. .They don't let you stand that close any more.