PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the best/most amazing flyby (official or otherwise)?
Old 18th Jan 2002, 22:56
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The displays by Flt Lt Toby Elwood (son of AM Sir Aubrey) of Driffield around 1952. Toby had flown Sunderlands during the war, left the Service, didn't "fit" in civvy street and came back in. It wasn't just "low and noisy" in the days when there were no restrictions about headings and heights in relation to the crowd (ie, before John Derry's DH110 broke up at Farnbrough and killed about 70 spectators.) It was all negative 'g' manoeuvres at very low level. I saw him at Newcastle airport on BoB day 1952, I think, one of a party of QFIs and stus from Middleton who went North just to see Toby perform. As I remember it he rolled the Meatbox onto its back while the gear was still retracting and pushed it over into a half-bunt, rolled upright to refil his fuel traps and then pushed it under to complete the bunt. From then on it was outside Derry turns etc - not spectacular to the great unwashed, but mind-boggling to the afficianados. Mates at Driffield said that his eyes were getting redder and redder as the season went on. Then he had the idea (for bad weather shows) of looping off the deck by uncaging his (suction) DI on North as he entered the loop (it did not topple on N/S headings) and using it to keep his wings roughly level (the AH used to topple at about 60 deg pitch, if I remember). He had to judge the amount of 'g' to pull by instinct. He tried this at Driffield one day through a low cloud-base and almost made it. RIP.