PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the best/most amazing flyby (official or otherwise)?
Old 11th Jan 2002, 08:32
T_richard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please forgive the intrusion of a non-aviator in your trip down memory lane, but my experiance may make you smile. Every Fourth of July, the Blue Angels and others like them descend on Quonsett Point in Rhode Island, USA for an air show. I was always of cruising on my sailboat so I never saw the show until 7/4/00 when I anchored right off the runways at the old military base. Well of course they do their show at 1500-2000 feet (I guess) and everybody cheers. THEN these F-18's (??) swoop down and buzz the flotila of pleasure craft anchored off the runway at about 200-500 feet off the deck (I guess). I can see the pilot in the plane as he flys by my starboard side at maybe 200 feet, its pretty quiet UNTIL he passes by me! The roar and heat was like nothing I have ever heard in my 47 years. In my next life I'm going to become a fighter pilot, there is not a vehicle on this planet that comes close to a fighter jet. I'll never forget that roar as he flew by. The other cool part is that my friend's son is an F-18 instructor in Nevada, short, balding, not terribly imposing but all steel! Thanks