PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the best/most amazing flyby (official or otherwise)?
Old 9th Jan 2002, 16:46
Who has control?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. The lovely sound of six Merlins coming over my back garden as the BBMF Lanc, Spit & Hurri return from Biggin.

2. I was watching the programme on the TV a few years ago about the 50th anniversary of LHR and looked up out of the window to see a DC-8 (?) fly passed quite low. 2 minutes later, B707 flew passed, also quite low. Then a DC-9. etc etc.

A quarter of a hour or so passed and then the TV announcer said 'and here's the first of the big jets, the DC-8'

I'd actually seen most of the fly-past go past my window.

3. About 25 years ago at home in Southend. It was a clear quiet dusk. I was just putting the car away when I heard an unfamiliar jet noise from the north, towards the airport. A minute or so later, the silhouette of a Vulcan drifts across as he does a go-around on very low power. All goes quiet as he goes round the circuit and positions for another approach.

But this time when he reaches the upwind end of the runway, he pulls the aircraft vertical and puts on full power. You have never seen a town wake up so quickly. Amazing.