PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Nervous Flyer Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2008, 13:10
nebpor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yourfather:

Many years ago, I too picked up an irrational fear of flying - having to fly every week with my job it didn't make life pleasant.

My solution?

Read ... read everything you can about flying - it's why I found this forum originally. Become a flight engineer in your head! I was already a very, very technical IT guy - now I can understand pretty much every system on the plane, how it works, and how little it matters if it stops working once you realise the redundancy.

Get on wikipedia - look up "wing", go watch the videos of Airbus testing the wings on the A380 to see how strong they are .... go watch the videos of engines being tested, go read up on how the engine actually works and why they are so reliable!

I don't claim to be completely over it, but my irrational fear was the engines would both stop .... I've got over that one at least. It was silly - I'm a petrolhead ... in the 200K miles I've ever driven an engine has never cut out on me, and that pile of crap gets inspected every 3-6 months and then it's just an oil change .... a plane engine gets virtually taken to bits on regular occassions, and the results all fed back into the design/maintenance so everyone gets to share the results!

Plus speak to the pilots if you get a chance - trust them, they are great folk and abject professionals ... plus they love answering our daft questions

I once commented about how our rate of accelleration had changed on take-off as we were going down the runway (the rate slowed, had never felt this before) after a journey out of Heathrow one day and the Captain seemed pleased I had even noticed! He then explained the score (can't remember exact reasoning) and take off has never bothered me again ... although it's the first 2 mins in flight that are the worst for me. As soon as the "bong" sounds for the Cabin Crew to do their job I know the Pilot is happy about the safety of his crew, hence I relax also at that point.

Hope that helps - you'll get there .... but only YOU can get you there!
Stephen