PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do people give up?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2008, 12:44
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder why schools dont put together groups.

This would be the business model.

Six post club PPLs (or any number you like) are "organised" into a group by the club. The club leases the aircraft (plenty of lease deals are availlable) in order to avoid committing capital (which most clubs dont have anyway). The group members are responsible for meeting the costs of running the aircraft and the lease.

Advantages:

The members have their own aircraft but havent had to find much (if any) capital. They have all the availability required. Since the club maintains the aircraft they should gain the advantage of better maintenance rates (because of the clubs buying power) and all the peripheral services the club can offer (keeping an eye on the aircraft, cleaning, booking, FBO services). Of course the club gains as well because they charge for the service (which is how they now make their money). In short everyone wins and the club can even buy hours back from the group when the aircraft is not being used if this is what the group want.

In this way the club has a captive market, keeps it post PPL students happy and ensures they go on providing a source of income to the club which could well be as good as if they rented, ended up getting pi**ed off with the lack of availability and went elsewhere.

It is a good business model and I happen to know it does work.

I wonder why more clubs dont give it a go?