PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2008, 12:24
rutankrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copy of my post elsewhere

I think what we are seeing from BMIthansa now is a consolidation of recourses rather than just simple profit

The Man-Ord is profitable to them (Just clearly not enough now), however because they only have three 332s in the fleet and that the company is now effectively BMED2 under LH ownership the focus is away from Trans Atlantic (in current economical environment may be a good thing too!) and into Miid East.

So they ditch the leases on unsuitable below par cabin Astraeus 752s (Saving unnecessary charges to their bottom line)
Close an out station (More savings) Move the remaining 332s down to LHR and fit out to same spec internally all three aircraft (Bit of cost between Jan-April) then allow full rotation and fleet flexibility.
Shuffle Mid East timetable offer capcity boost and better in flight product.

Aim to garner better yields with increase in premium cable size over current route(s)
served and therefore profit potential with actually reduced recourses (fleet size)

Main fly in the ointment for BMI could well be BA returning to the lucrative Saudi market sometime after spring.

For Manchester looking hopefully AA will now restore daily to ORD from Spring and Singapore return to daily in similar time frame and period of stability (stagnation for now) entered into for few seasons.

This is certainly blow to Manchester and all staff and customers alike however its NOT the same as another carrier who recently TRANSFERED a flight down south.

I now wish all at BMI Manchester the very best in the future wherever you find yourself.