PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon - Have I Missed Something?!
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2008, 10:11
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Its not a DZ flash, they are larger squares, worn on the right arm below para wings usually. Its is a TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash). What the yellow and green checkerboard thing is in anyones guess. Is it in dress regs or has the sqn adjutant pulled that one from his posterior?

The odd thing is I was always taught (both in my days as a Rifleman and later as a crab) that uniform is supposed to be sanitised of boy scout badges when there is a chance of closing with the enemy. Obviously Abu Dhabi is more of a holiday camp than 'closing with the enemy' type place so perhaps the rush to cover every spare square inch of uniform with a badge is forgivable.

Oh I echo the earlier comment on the 'Royal Air Force' flashes too. Surely the cap badge gives that away and in situations where berets give way to an S6 one would assume some form of body armour would cover any pointless distinguishing badges worn upon ones chest?

Of course the RAF isn't the only service to have rushed headlong into their local haberdashery and brought up it entire stock of pretty material. The RN have been placing bigger and bigger badges on their kit for a while now and even the Army seem to have forgotten all about the hinderance that bright coloured material can be in a situation where blending in with your background can be beneficial.