PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - high altitude single engine
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2008, 08:26
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Above 10,000 isn't exactly high altitude.

I spent much of my 1,000 hours in 172's above 10,000...and that's not really what you'd call a high altitude airplane. When flying from fields with density altitudes that were often close to 10,000' in the summer, and actual elevations starting at 5,000 on up. A light airplane, even a normally aspirated airplane, shouldn't have any problem flying above 10,000'.

Are you looking for altitude or speed as your primary concern? Ten grand won't get you over much weather, and certainly not convective weather...it will generally get you closer to icing conditions and put you in weather. TAS increase isn't that significant above ten to make it much of a big increase.

The SR22 choice would have to be more one of comfort or speed, than choosing for it's altitude capability. Just about anything can go above ten thousand. I've taken a little Cessna 150 to nearly 18,000 before...so certainly you can expect ten grand all day long in a Colombia or Cirrus. The real question then is what are your goals once you get there?