PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Close Essendon Airport!
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2008, 05:02
Jet Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport set to stay put - Local News - News - General - Moonee Valley Community News

Airport set to stay put

FEDERAL Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Minister Anthony Albanese has approved the master plan for Essendon Airport.The plan sets out the strategic direction and intended uses of the airport for the next 20 years.
Mr Albanese has told Essendon Airport management that the Government has no current plans to close the airport or relax any curfews.
Essendon Airport will keep its 50-year lease, with an additional 49-year option, to operate the airport.
Under the much-awaited decision, airport management have been asked to establish a working group to examine and report on the impact of aircraft movements and how aircraft noise could be better managed.
Mr Albanese said the airport was important for aviation and supported valuable services such as the Royal Flying Doctor Service, Air Ambulance Victoria and the Victoria Police air wing.
"I acknowledge the ongoing community concern regarding noise and other impacts caused by aircraft operations, and I have requested Essendon Airport management to work with Airservices Australia, my department and local federal members of Parliament Kelvin Thomson and Bill Shorten to find practical ways to reduce these impacts with targeted strategies," he said.
The decision is expected to have a mixed response from the Close Essendon Airport Group, which has been lobbying for the airport's closure, and the Save Essendon Airport Group, which formed to fight for aviation services based at the site.
Wills MP Kelvin Thomson said he was disappointed with the decision.
"Essendon Airport is past its use-by date as an airport.
"It's surrounded by built-up, long-established residential communities from all sides, flight approaches and take-offs.
"It has a history of aircraft accidents, in particular light aircraft, which have claimed lives."
Mr Thomson said the community wanted aircrafts relocated.
"The draft master plan public feedback process received approximately 180 submissions, 80 per cent of which I understand called for the relocation of aircraft from Essendon."