PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - whats up at national jet?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2008, 00:23
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RU/16
Skywest particularly are keen to see the back of NJS and I think would/are doing anything they can to see them off!
You are expressing your own opinion. I am quite confident that nobody running Skywest shares your opinion. In the unlikely event that NJS should disappear entirely, there will be other equally willing and capable competitors.

That would be bad for Skywest. They have one big advantage in the charter market over NJS: Skywest has intimate knowledge of how NJS does business, whilst NJS is mostly guessing how Skywest will tender.

It is a good thing to be proud of your company and proud of what you do. But don't get carried away.

Skywest is a sound company. But the F100 is an older design than even the 146-100, and you will need to find and train a lot of pilots (which will require training captains) to meet the ambitious schedule your company has set itself.
Once you see off the competition there is big $$ to be made.
Even in these confusing and turbulent economic times, that is still a dumb thing to say.

First up, I'd rate the planning, research and negotiation skills of the customers (major resource companies) a little higher than that.

Secondly, Australian pilots in the late 80's (avoiding that year-before-1990-figure) suffered from similar insular thinking - with us gone, who will do the work?

It is a big wide world out there. Lots of potential operators with plenty of aeroplanes.

What would Skywest be thinking about NJS? "Better the devil you know!"