PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet takeoff xwind technique
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 21:00
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747 crosswind takeoffs

I am much more concerned, in the 747, as to scrape an outboard engine after rotation when compensating with excessive bank into a crosswind situation. To drift away from initial alignment with runway flight path is not critical. I rather accept a (say) 5º drift to the left or right, after lift-off.
xxx
Same story with the 707 and DC8...
xxx
Outboard engine scraping incidents seem more related to crosswind situations, tailstrikes are not. Boeing does not provide any specific procedure in their 747 FCTM regarding crosswind. I have a kept an old 1982 edition FCTM for the 747, which contains much more data than newer editions, and I often find answers in the older manual than what is printed in the new edition. In example there is a graph "Aileron/Spoiler Deflection Vs. Aileron Trim" on the old manual page 05.40.08... Try to find this, in a new FCTM...
xxx
Training briefings and classroom discussions, in the subject of crosswind handling, do depend much of the experience each individual pilots. I do not preselect a certain amount of trim for aileron (or rudder) for crosswind. And further, do not come with "nosewheel steering compensation" as it is worthless at high speed. Nosewheels are "as effective for directional control, as a piece of wet kleenex tissue".
xxx
To avoid a tailstrike, in a 747, remain at 10º pitch nose up limit... and to avoid scraping an outboard engine, do not bank more than 5º on ground at Vr speed, and be careful on crosswind gusts. The primary aerodynamic control in crosswind takeoff and landings, remains the rudder.
xxx

Happy contrails