PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to get 30hours pic time on multi
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 20:31
SR71-Blackbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>It's almost certainly going to be cheaper in the States.<<

>>Probably the best value twin for hire in the UK.... the Duchess at Peterborough Conington (EGSF) in sunny Cambridgeshire. <<

>>One suggestion would be if you could find a twin based near the coast and fly to over channel destinations, and then claim the tax drawback on the fuel. << Very good advice

While the cost p/h or block time may be cheaper in the USA, unless you are going there for another reason other than flying, and then want to do flying when you're over there, you will most certainly be paying more in total - accomodation, flights etc.

Once the the total cost is apportioned over the hours flown, then the USA doesn't seem so attractive after all.

If you are prepared to travel to the USA to fly, try shopping around in the UK and you should be able to find a bargain without "having" to do all the hours in say, two weeks or so. Better, in the UK you'll be flying in "real weather" talking to UK controllers.

Connington prices p/h are good, however I fly a Seneca out of Coventry and have been able to get my p/h costs as low as £149 with strategic flying. I believe nowhere in the US can match or beat this price. Indeed the average US converted price works out about £160 - £175 p/h.
My average flight costs work out at £169 p/h

Flying a twin in the UK is expensive unless every flight is international and fuel drawback is claimed. On the seneca, thats £140 back in your pocket.

Having been to the States earlier this year and flown, I would say UK is best, which may not suit everyone, however I did enjoy the US experience but would try and do any future flying closer to home.