PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet takeoff xwind technique
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 18:37
fire wall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,
Done correctly the X wind takeoff is a thing of rare beauty. Problem is I rarely see it done correctly and given that I fly ultra long haul ( so sector count is an issue) it ends up being a verbal discussion with the FO after the event. Some want to learn , others .....
I have flow the 757,767,747 classic and now the 744 and the technique is identical. Preset a small amount of aileron and fly the wing down the runway. Use rudder to keep straight. As a result of the swept wing design the into wind wing has a resultant less angle of sweep than the downwind wing and produces more lift for a given angle of attack so, during a SLOW rotation (MAX 3 deg/sec) , apply an increase in into wind aileron otherwise the wing will lift. When away from the ground slowly neutralise control forces and the aircraft will beautifully weathercock into wind and track on the extended runway centerline.
I will add that the 744 wing starts working at 60 kts hence the need to preset the aileron.
As to the debate of how much aileron, use what you need and forget about the spoiler deployment. You are going to look a meathead explaining to the Chief Pilot the pod strike on 1 or 4 because you were concerned you may have too much drag due spoiler deployment. To counter the loss of effeciency re the boards up use a slow rotation - simple huh?

Boeing releases Flight Operational Reviews which from memory detailed spoiler deployment on the 767 was at 2.4 units control wheel deflection and 744 I think was 2.2 units - critics be gentle with me on this as the grey matter is not what it was. At times when parked at the passenger terminal with those shiny windows get clearance from the your man on the ground, pressurise the hydraulics and let the FO displace the control wheel and note in the reflection from the windows when he detects spoiler pick up - works better than just telling him at what # of units it will happen.