PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar contact and Identified
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 17:05
glider insider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The controlling I do is certainly not "secret military" stuff, but the meanings of the 3 phrases, "contact, continue with, freecall" are as taught to UK mil controllers and are certainly applicable in UK ATSOCAS as provided by a military controller (such as when controlling LARS).

I disagree that Identification implies a radar service is being applied. I can think of an example when you are controlling a FIS and you require coordination with that aircraft, you will identifiy that aircraft and seek agreement from the FIS pilot to a course of action. I have identified the aircraft so that I know I am coordinating the correct return on the screen, but I am still only providing that aircraft with a FIS. I cannot speak for controlling in CAS, but outside CAS a radar service is not applied until the controller / pilot agreement has been reached. That is the pilot requests the type of service and the controller confirms that service by stating it back, or the relevant next best service applicable (such as when the aircraft is beneath the RVC and cannot be provided with RAS, so a RIS is applied).

Interestingly the discussions we are having are one of the reasons that the new ATSOCAS is being introduced, so that a consistent level of service is being applied from unit to unit across both the military and civil arenas. Accordingly the military will be adopting many aspects of civil phraseology such as "immediately" when offering AA and "degrees" with headings ending with a zero.