PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready for a new Campaign in the Congo?
Old 4th Nov 2008, 17:05
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't go me wrong folks, as I've said a couple of times I have a lot of issues with the UN but I would still maintain that they have their uses in situations where those intervening could be perceived as aggressors/invaders. A prime example would be Zimbabwe - the Brits rocking up there, on their own, to sort things out would not work "presentationally" and would create infinitely more problems than they set out to solve. That would truly become the neverending op....

West Coast, I'm in complete agreement with your point however there are only a few countries that are powerful enough to militarily impose a solution on a country on their own. You are correct when you say that the UN does not impart a moral authority - that rests with you and I.

2port, indeed it is but the current problems are confined to a relatively small border area. There is no intent/requirement to police the entire DRC, merely one to suppress rebel forces and bring relief to the refugees in the area.

The issues at stake here are the prevention of the starvation/genocide/call-it-what-you-will of a large number of innocent folk. This isn't about nation building, imposition of democracy, pillaging of mineral wealth, securing strategic advantage, toppling dictators or any other guns-blazing type ideas. "All" I'm advocating is a limited and focussed relief op with robust enough RoEs to ensure that incoming troops don't end up becoming the victims. If that op requires a couple of GRs to lob LGBs through some rogue general's bedroom window then so be it. It won't require, however, that we run up our flag over the rubble of it.

OBSLF - you are quite right, we don't have enough resources to police the ills of the whole world but should that mean we shouldn't do anything at all anywhere? If we consider ourselves to be a right-minded, developed nation then do we not have a moral obligation to something, no matter how small? I can't afford to build a £6M swimming pool at Headley Court. Does that mean that I shouldn't bother donating a tenner towards it?

On one hand some people will argue that history shows us why we shouldn't get involved whilst my personal opinion is that history shows why we must get involved and also provides the lessons such that we don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

Last edited by StopStart; 4th Nov 2008 at 17:08. Reason: Crossed posts with mr r - agreed!