PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do people give up?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 16:41
Russ Bost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost gave up when I was at the circuits stage - I had an instructor whom I didn't get on with, but after having a bit of a head to head with him, & pointing out who was the customer here, I persevered & finally he sent me off solo - made my best landing ever & the club sacked him later that day!!! I guess I'm not the only one he wasn't popular with!

Having got my license a bit over 18 months ago I've not used it a great deal since, & I think a lot of the reason is due to a lack of people who appreciate it, to share it with. I'm sure perhaps if you're with a sizeable club who organize things both on & off the ground it must make it all more interesting & obviously cost plays a part - landing fees at Southend where I learnt are now £20.

I recently got back in touch with a cousin I hadn't seen or heard from for about 40 years only to find he took his PPL at the same age I did! (albeit 7 years ago as he's older). We've now flown together a few times, he has an aerobatic Zlin & has introduced me to both aeros & farm strip flying & all of a sudden things seem much more exciting - I'm looking at getting a tailwheel conversion & purchasing a VLA which will be far cheaper to fly (even with the maintenance & hangarage), & a lot more interesting, than the spamcans I've been used to & hopefully may find some others to share costs with & get a small group going.

All I would say to anyone that's thinking of giving up is don't - persevere, get your licence & then look around a bit - join some forums, join the LAA & see just what else there is outside of the typical flying school environment.