PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 13:39
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guava Tree
I never thought I would see the day when pilot job made it onto that list, but there it is, for now at least.
It’s been there a while and will be there for as long as Australia needs foreign pilots, just like Hong Kong. The minute Hong Kong is self sufficient in pilots is the day expats will be a thing of the past, though this isn’t likely to happen anytime soon.
My understanding of employment law in Hong Kong is that an employer, provided he is not restricted by a specific procedure in an employment contract or union agreement that he has signed, may lay off who he likes (means to say who he doesn’t like) without any regard to seniority, and I have seen this happen without problem in other occupations here.
This doesn't make it right. The point is you are basing redundancies on ones race. This is unacceptable as it smacks of racism and will have a devastating effect on any company in Hong Kong that relies on expats for the vast majority of their workforce especially when it comes to attracting experienced expat workers in future. If you don’t think it will happen then you are mistaken. If some companies just in the recent past found it hard to find expat workers simply because of the pollution wait till the word spreads that Hong Kong companies racially discriminate against expat workers. For the record I personally don’t believe for one minute this is the case. Most of the large international companies conduct themselves to internationally accepted practices. HKA it would appear have choosen not to follow this path.