PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defiant
Thread: Defiant
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2002, 19:53
Goodfellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pigboat, Mycroft, and Ivchenko. .. .My thanks to each of you for your references and thoughts. Very helpful, indeed.. .. .My specific inquiry about the Defiant was prompted by an episode in "Piece of Cake". .by Derek Robinson. Speaking of which, "Piece of Cake" strikes a dilettante like me. .as an excellent fictionalized history. But I am not even a pilot, just a fellow with an interest in aviation and WWII history. I'd be very interested in any comments you might have about the book.. .. .I am also interested in a larger issue which the Defiant illustrates: when everyone knows technological change is taking place and no one knows quite what its effects will be.. .. .Between WWI and WWII aircraft capacilities increased dramatically. Radio allowed pilots to cooperate in their efforts and to be coordinated from the ground. Therefore, many people reasoned that the one-on-one dogfight was a thing of the past. This gave rise to tight formation attacks, fighters with gun turrets, and other ideas that didn't pan out.. .. .Well, at least the RAF was trying to look into the future. The standard critique is that . .generals always prepare to fight the last war. The trick, it seems, is to figure out that lessons still apply and what really has changed. Anyone who can amplify or improve on this theme will have my full attention and gratitude.