PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet takeoff xwind technique
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 10:40
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intruder:
If you're looking at the aileron trim indicator on the yoke after starting your roll, you're likely trying to follow some book theory instead of flying the airplane.

Reread the post,do it before start of the roll; goes without saying that you adjust accordingly as required during the takeoff (not often needed; how many times do we do a max crosswind takeoff? Not very!). I also pointed out that this was an "Old Timer's Rule of Thumb", i.e basic starter guide for newcomers to the type in order to keep out of trouble. Never a substitute for basic airmanship/flying skills; merely a backup. Would save a lot of grief if applied more often in everyday flying; (e.g inputting/ selecting wrong V speeds.....??!!)

Top Bunk:

S'funny, I was always taught 1 unit of into wind aileron per 5 knots of crosswind, not 1 per 10 kts (on the 744 and Boeings in general).
Not going to argue about 5 knots! Who knows what the actual wind is anyway?Initially you are only going by what the tower is telling you, and we know how reliable or otherwise that can be. You'll find out soon enough during the takeoff; that's where the Airmanship bit comes in.

Last edited by Phantom Driver; 4th Nov 2008 at 11:06.