PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet takeoff xwind technique
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2008, 10:03
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see a lot of posts talking about the drag of a slightly deployed spoiler/spoileron. I don't think that that is the main contributor to a possible tailstrike.

A spoiler (by definition) spoils the airflow over a wing, causing less lift and thus a higher angle of attack for the same lift required. Higher AoA equals higher body angle at rotation.

All that said, I think the total effect of a slightly deployed spoileron due to upwind controls is probably negligible, unless there are further aggravating factors like in the example in the first post.
It appears that many here are losing sight of the big picture...

It doesn't matter if you use upward aileron or spoiler; EITHER ONE causes loss of lift on the wing! That's why the wing drops when you use EITHER ONE!

If you use the amount of aileron AND/OR spoiler that is required to keep the airplane level and keep the engine pod off the ground, you are doing your job as a pilot! If you use too much, you are hurting yourself as much (or more) than if you use too little. Just FLY THE AIRPLANE, even when it is on the runway! If you're looking at the aileron trim indicator on the yoke after starting your roll, you're likely trying to follow some book theory instead of flying the airplane.

Those who have done it a few thousand times might even note that when you properly ease and release the slight cross control (required in many transport airplanes) during/after rotation, the airplane naturally settles into most of the upwind crab that you need to maintain runway track. If it isn't happening for you, you may have to adjust your technique a bit.