PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready for a new Campaign in the Congo?
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 21:36
Mr-AEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StopStart,

Rather late in the day to pitch in, but felt I had to say that I fully agree with your posts. This whole situation is on an unimaginably large scale and if things get ugly, there could be a genocide like the world has never seen. The prevarication and willy waving that the so called 'developed countries' are now engaging in sounds like echoes of the Rwandan genocide. To be honest, the UK sending a handful of troops, or some equipment is hardly going to make a difference, but it may well make the politico's sleep as night, and subdue some people into believing they can have a Happy Christmas whilst their country does good. I refer back again to the Rwandan genocide when the UK sent out clapped out Bedford trucks as a method of disposal, and then claimed to be 'helping', it was only in the R.O.P that the dismal US, UK and French efforts were shown for what they were.

If people are in doubt as to the provenance of any improved future UN mandate then read Romeo Dallaire's book called 'Shake Hands with the Devil', but be warned as it is harrowing. The poor sod has tried to take his own life several times since returning from Rwanda as the Head of the UN Peackeeping mission.