PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready for a new Campaign in the Congo?
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 16:34
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StopStart
PN - this isn't about wading into the DRC as a whole as it is indeed an enormous place. The "troubles" (rubbish word) causing the current issues relate to a relatively small area around Goma, bordering Rwanda. Indeed the problems of today can be traced directly back to the fallout of the 1994 Rwandan genocide & subsequent routing of the Hutu army and their Interahamwe chums.

The UN cannot be seen to getting involved with the internal politics of countries unless mandated to. They won't get mandated to unless in very specific cases, one of which is genocide. This was how the US in particular wormed their way out of allowing the UN mandate in Rwanda to be expanded beyond treaty monitoring.
My OU course made that point and even used an audio clip from Bill Clinton expressing his regret at not taking action when he could.

We in the west can easily force multiply existing DRC MONUC forces with a just a little rotary/airlift/CAS if white faces are the ground are just too bitter a pill to swallow.
The crucial word here is west and the use of helicopters from those countries not committed elsewhere.