PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet takeoff xwind technique
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 11:56
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding large amounts of aileron early in the takeoff roll degrades takeoff performance, so add the aileron (for crosswinds) only as needed,
Never agreed with this! Early in teh take-off roll, is there absolutely any drag from aileron control or minor spoiler uplift? It only starts applying and being effective above 80-100kts. I was taught 'apply what you think is right at the beginning of the roll, and hold it there until it becomes effective. You then don't have to think about it during the roll when you are fighting with the rudder to maintain the centreline. Then feel for the wing lifting and keep it down, hold aileron on during rotate and start feeling for wing drop and control it as the aeroplane yaws and settles into drift.'

Magic technique that worked on the 747, 737 and 757. It works. The fact there was a stickshaker/tailstrike incident on this particular take-off leads me to say there were other factors present. No way should a medium crosswind have induced that. I would be more interested in examining speed, rotation rate and rotation angle reached. Not any nonsense about blaming aileron control during roll! (speaking from the POV of an 18 year 747 pilot from a fleet of 57 of them doing regular high weight flights, with no T/O tailstrikes!)