PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 11:17
Valkyriejmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valkyriejmp

With reference to the Chinook crash: I'm an engineer and during my time I have had to collect a few ex-people from hills and holes in the ground. In almost every case we engineers were the first to be blamed. I have found in extensive flying around the world that if you fly above the ground ahead, it is impossible to hit it. I have flown a lot in Chinooks and "suffered" the terrain matching flying that is great fun until a solid object appears on the nose. The aircraft in question was not cleared to transit at that altitude and collided with the first bit of solid object after crossing the sea. I can not comment on the specific facts, as I suggest many of the posters in this thread can not do. However, I know from bitter experience that engineering is the first port of call for crashes, especially where deaths are involved. For the board to so clearly state the cause as pilot error makes it clear to me that there was absolutely no other cause of action. Sorry, but using emotion to follow a political path is not on.