PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet takeoff xwind technique
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 11:05
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This whole area is clouded with confusion! On the 747 in particular, there is a VERY strong tendency to lift the upwind wing in a crosswind take-off. Try leaving the control wheel centralised and you will have a surprise during the roll. I have seen a nasty scene develop during a strong crosswind take-off at LHR (right opposite our crew report centre) through a pilot not having any aileron on at all, and that was on lift off.

For the incident in question, I would have held at least 4 divisions aileron on throughout roll and rotation, as I have been taught all my career on several types, and allow it to bleed off as the aeroplane stabilised in the air as the drift started getting applied. I have to question again how much drag the barely extended spoilers (only on one side) actually give at any stage below 140 kts given that the rudder is also applied as well as the ailerons on both sides. The spoilers very slightly extended on one side give nothing more than a minute asymmetric effect These are the self same speedbrakes that even below 250kts actually apply very little drag even fully extended!

How about BelArgUS giving an opinion from a very experienced 747 man?