PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leeds Heliport (1980s)?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 22:15
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1982 and i had just come back from crop spraying in Egypt and took over the running of GSM Helicopters near Ripon . Dick was my chief pilot . I was only 22 and was living during the week in a caravan next to the hangar . Every friday night was barbecue with Dick and Mandy and some take off,s on sat morning were better than others !! He was the greatest friend and greater pilot . I often laugh to myself when people on this site say this or that cannot be done safely or at all ( there was a discussion here where many "emminent pilots " said an engine failure at low level, ie 20ft, would definitely not give you time to auto ......dick demo,d dozens to me including one at 10ft doing a 180 turn !!!!) I had a Bell G3B1 G-BHKW . We flew to my parents house in shropshire and arrived just as it was getting near dark . We landed in the tennis court. By the time we had got our gear out and tied down it was black...then we discovered the gate was locked and my parents were out !! Sadly there are few gentlemen pilots like Dick left . I think my old heli is now in Cyprus . Looking at the weather recently i should be there with her !!