PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA man gets 16 years in Kabul
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 15:37
unstable load

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect, if you publish a post that basically says that the rest of the human race are effectively morons for having laws and law enforcement then you open yourself up to being called names.
It is one of the fundamental things that makes us human that we very often exhibit flawed if not downright crazy judgement. We drink, take drugs, go whoring, drive fast, with and without helmets and the lucky ones get to live and talk about it tomorrow. Darwin's theory takes care of the rest.

That is why we have those laws, to be a check to the more reckless among us and a (often useless) deterrent to the crooks. To suggest self-policing for the human race is nothing short of serious wishful thinking in the extreme.

Had you actually said that you were in favour of outlawing drugs then you may have been taken seriously. What your post said to me was......
" there can be as many of anything available to anyone who is stupid eneough to use them, poor weakling humans, those of us who live on the moral high ground will abstain, thank you".

It has nothing to do with you biting, either, more with the fact that you preach a doctrine of some master species that should be above all the temptations of this sordid little rock we inhabit and then get bent out of shape when people think your opinion is "moronic".
Just out of morbid curiosity, would you advocate a program of eugenics to help form this iron willed superbeing you aspire to, or am I now the one being moronic?

B Sousa in my opinion sums it up pretty well when he says...

There must be a scale on a lot of things after which we say no. but in many cases there has to be an authority who will look out for us. Be it the Police or whatever.
Your statement...
You can outlaw drugs as much as you can - its not going to make any difference when you die of something else they didn't outlaw and therefore protected your ass against - it only means some guy dies in a prison on Afghanistan.
is true in many ways. Yes, I and my impressionable kids will die of something, so will you funnily eneough. It may well even be something that was not legislated against.
My family has a history of cancer and to the best of my knowledge there are no laws protecting me from being given cancer, if you can find a politician who will sponsor those laws, I will sign on immediately. Believe me though when I tell you that until that happens I will definitely regulate myself from acquiring that if I possibly can, because I agree wholeheartedly with you that I would be stupid in the extreme if I went out and willingly got it.

About the only place we have common ground is the bit where some bloke will maybe die in an Afghani jail for not being able to regulate himself.
If he was silly eneough to try and smuggle drugs, then he should count himself lucky it was there, where he has a chance no matter how slim of living through his sentence. He could always have tried it in Singapore or Thailand where his lack of judgement would have been terminal.