PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspected heli crash, Gloucestershire (Nov 2008)
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 10:25
ChippyChop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without jumping to any conclusions. I would like to make the following comment based on recently attending the safety briefing at Wycombe and the number of these types of incidents that happen.

A key topic at the briefing was why us rotary guys (and girls, lets just call it guys and include the girls in that) don't learn from the mistakes of the fixed wing guys. One of the things that favours fixed wing flyers is that they have to fly from an airfield. If the weather did have a part to play in this crash, for the fixed winger, he is going to have to get out of the airfield and from his arrival to his departure he is going to have to talk to many people, which gives him the opportunity to gather information about whether it is safe to fly. There are also minimum weather conditions that prohibit his departure.

On the other hand, us rotary guys take off from anywhere, might not talk to a soul before lifting (I hope not) and maybe not have enough weather info at our disposal.

Quite a few people I have flown with are surprised that I can lift off from my backyard without informing anyone.

This is only a suggestion, and I turn my cheek openly towards the pprune bashers, PPL's who fly from private sites be required to file a flight plan, say two hours prior to lifting. The CAA can then make a recommendation about the weather conditions or any other issue that might impact the flight. I underline recommendation as I'm sure the CAA will not want to open itself to any liability and the recommendation/flight plan approval, clearly states it is the captain's decision and no liabilty is accepted.

At least this way the pilot is going to have some input from someone else, whether he chooses to listen or not, is his decision, but it might help save some lives.

Cheers
Chippy