PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How has the life of an airline pilot really changed??
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 10:15
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
After 42 years and 24,000 hours in the game, I can honestly say that most times I still enjoy it once I am actually at work.
But how has it changed? Well, way back when, pilots were treated with plenty respect - first class deadhead travel, rosters published a month in advance etc. With pilot supply exceeding demand, it was hard to get a job, but once you got it, 500 stick hours a year was about the norm, with 10 days at home every month.
Now, even though there is a supposed shortage of pilots, all the 'respect' seems to have gone. Rosters are always subject to change on short notice, then they are run to maximum duty periods, minimum legal days at home. Deadhead always seems to be on the cheapest flight of the day, in the worst seat at the worst time. And of course the poxy, poxy security crap, which is enough to spoil anyone's day - if only because we all know it is nothing more than window dressing - it won't stop the real bad guys and isn't geared up to weed out suicidal pilots.
But, airline flying still beats driving a cab or working in a bank, so if you can deal with the above-described crap, go for it. Just don't admit to management that you actually like it, 'cos the buggers will take advantage somehow.