PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2008, 23:38
etienne t boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile You Are Welcome

Hi loav8r,

Seems like everything with you is going to be copacetic now you're coming over to join the boys in the swamps. First you'll get an STR visa for your arrival. This means "subject to regularisation" and once you have the supporting paperwork from Bristow to say that you'll be employed by them you'll get this in 2 to 4 weeks from the Nigerian embassy or High Commission in your country. This will get you through immigration when you arrive and Bristow will then get your visa "regularised" for your residents and work permits. You can find the regulations here:
Nigerian Visa Regulations
Where will you be based and what type will you be operating?
Forget a lot of the bad stories. If you come here with a completely open mind you'll almost certainly find you'll enjoy yourself. If you read everything here, after you arrive, you'll find some will be true for YOU, some not. Both Bristow and Aero are going through some turmoil right now, but I suspect that the turmoil within Aero will have consequences that are further reaching in terms of its very existence. For all its problems, Bristow is not a bad company and just need the new MD to settle in once he has finished flexing his muscles. This is the natural order in any company when there are changes at the top and once the dust has settled, most people will accept the 'new order' and everything will be back to normal.
There are still many opportunities in Nigeria and the offshore helicopter industry will continue to expand over the next few years. I hope you'll enjoy your time here and maybe I'll be the first one buying you your ice cold Star when you arrive. (Star is a Nigerian institution now, and was originally marketed as the first indigenous Nigerian beer in 1949 by Nigerian Breweries, but Heineken acquired a majority stake 8 years ago).
Enjoy your time here as countless others have done before you. Many have come here wanting to change Nigeria, but the ones who have stayed have been those who Nigeria has changed