PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do people give up?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2008, 21:45
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
You don't need anywhere near 10 grand to get a licence, in the UK, you just need to aim a little different. I was going to say lower but that would not be correct. Microlight licences require from 25 hours tuition (some students do get through in the minimum time) at about 130 pounds an hour, in a modern, capable 3 axis machine. Add in books, ground school and some landing fees and you could be sorted for less than 4 grand. After this, basic aircraft can be bought from about 3 grand and running costs are not much more than fuel and insurance. 15 ltrs Mogas an hour in my thirsty 2 stroke! The machine is easy to fly and cheap to repair so I don't pay for any hull insurance (the expensive bit) and third party only comes to a couple of hundred pounds a year, that is less than some flying club memberships, I hear.

Much better to do a lot of cheap hours than struggle to reach the minimum hours in an expensive machine. I would not be flying 60 to 70 hours a year if I was paying club hire rates and sticking to club rules about return times.