PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How has the life of an airline pilot really changed??
Old 1st Nov 2008, 20:32
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think one major change in Europe is that night stopping crews is now viewed as an inconvenience rather than a necessity like it used to be. Airlines now like to get crews back to their home base at the end of the day and that has resulted in airlines operating with more bases. Even if terms and conditions have eroded, the fact that more people can live where they want to or close to where they want to is perhaps one if not the only redeeming factor.

In the US for example it is rare to have a crew member live anywhere near they are based. Commuting and night stopping still plays a integral part in the daily lives of our friends in the US.

I fly European short haul and whilst I do spend a fair amount of time away from home and away down route, I have had the chance to visit some places that I have throughly enjoyed seeing and those are places I would never have visited otherwise. I probably won't be able to go on like this for much longer since it does take its toll but I am glad I have done it!