PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do people give up?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2008, 19:19
pronane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly around 35 hrs per year,if I had to hire it would cost around £4500-5000/year.
As a retired person I doubt I could justify these hours/costs in a hired plane, so would gradually reduce flying until I became out of currency,unsafe etc or just stopped flying.

Flying with my group it costs around £1500/year all in,which makes flying affordable whenever I wish to go.
Unless you are able to earn and spend a lots of money, I can't see how you can better group flying.
The other bonus is that there are a number of co-owners to discuss any problems etc and a sort of camaraderie within the members.
How often do you get to fly within the year? Do you get the chance to take it for the weekend for example?

patfitz, i read your post and I found myself thinking exactly the same as the paragraph re:flying home etc. I think people interested like myself (as its still only a thought of whether or not I will do the PPL) probably don't realise 2 years down the line whats required and the novelty factor is lost, due to being unable to do things that they wanted - thats only a guess as I haven't a clue, but I know that if I got the PPL and wasn't able to do some of the things you suggested I would just get fed up....

Reading this thread has made me wonder whether its worth the investment both financial and effort to get a PPL!!

Last edited by pronane; 1st Nov 2008 at 19:57.