PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Medical evacuation helicopter crashed"
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2008, 15:16
WhirlwindIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 3

Yes, I agree, thinking round the loop via ADM is the right process; and taught by training organizations regularly because it is worthwhile. It should keep a pilot from entering a flying environment in which IMC skills will be required - but it is not fool proof, thereby the need for real confidence via training and currency in IFR flying to hone one's ability to handle IMC, altered plains of reference, no horizon, etc. type flying when those realities of our world appear.

I don't know any HEMS pilot who does not have an instrument rating. Why not develop this line of defense against loss of control associated with IIMC, CFIT, altered planes of reference etc. by requiring appropriate IFR training and currency for the make/model helicopter being flown? Right now the IFR flying requirements for pilots flying on VFR-only operations are insufficient to meet the threat - I have no trepidation in making that statement.

I too would hesitate to enter IMC in any unstabilized helicopter. That reluctance should serve us all well, but, unstabilized SPIFR can be accomplished if the pilot is properly trained and current. I know that sounds a bit on-the-limb but having intentionally operated unstabilized helicopters IFR under the Bermudan Registry, and a couple unintentionally on the US Registry, I assure you it can be done; albeit nowadays acceptable only as a last line of defense, which is what we are discussing.

This certainly is an idea that can be implemented now, and built upon should VFR HEMS operations morph in to IFR ones.

Thanks.

WIII